Inspired by an upcoming trip to my hometown and the fact that I listened to the ’90s station in the car this morning, I thought I’d put together a list of my top albums from high school.
I had (have?) quite the eclectic taste in music … from Rage Against the Machine to Shania Twain to Radiohead to Bob Marley to Hole. But these are the tapes and CDs I listened to over and over again. Some of them I can still listen to over and over again (Cowboy Junkies) and some I have no interest in anymore (Alanis Morissette), but all of them transport me back to a specific time and place.
So, in no particular order, here they are:
- Belly – King (1995)
- Cowboy Junkies – Studio: Selected Studio Recordings (1996)
- Liz Phair – Whip-Smart (1994)
- Jewel – Pieces of You (1995)
- Blind Melon – Nico (1996)
- Fiona Apple – Tidal (1996)
- Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill (1995)
- The Cranberries – No Need to Argue (1994)
- Sublime – Sublime (1996)
- No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom (1995)
My sister may read this and dispute this list – it’s certainly not exhaustive, and doesn’t include the singles I listened to over and over (The Cardigans’ Lovefool, anyone?) But they are the ones that still stand out to me 20-ish years later.
What were your top albums from high school?